Robeson Community College
Header Image

Financial Aid


Your education at Robeson Community College is one of the most valuable investments you will make in your life. The financial aid office is committed to helping you find ways to finance your education because we believe attending college should not be limited by your family’s financial resources. We have designed this website to help guide you through the financial aid process. We urge you to stay informed and in control of your education by browsing through our website, checking your RCC student email, and checking your Self-Service student portal. 

To get STARTED, click on the buttons below.



man handing document to clerk






steps to apply for or renew your financial aid


Step one


CREATE A FSA ID USERNAME & PASSWORD: An FSA ID is a username and password that gives you access to Federal Student Aid’s online systems and can serve as your legal signature. For Dependent students, your parent must create their own FSA ID. Click on the link above to get started. 


Step 2


COMPLETE THE FREE APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID (FAFSA) EVERY YEAR: On October 1st of every year, the FAFSA is available for the new school year. Add RCC’s federal school code of 008612. Don’t forget to hit the submit button once completed. Allow 3-5 business days for your FAFSA to be processed and sent to RCC. To get started, click on the FAFSA link!


Step three


SUBMIT ALL REQUESTED DOCUMENTS ASAP: Once RCC’s Financial Aid Office receives your completed FAFSA, we will notify you via your RCC Student Email if further documents are needed to complete processing. Allow 1-2 weeks for processing.

CHECK YOUR STATUS by logging into your student Self-Service portal to view a list of documents requested and/or your financial aid offer.




Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible to receive federal and/or state student aid, you must:

  • Be a citizen or eligible non-citizen of the United States.
  • Have a valid Social Security Number. (Students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, and the Republic of Palau are exempt from this requirement.)
  • Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate, or have completed homeschooling.
  • Be enrolled in an eligible program as a regular student seeking a degree or certificate.
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress.
  • Not owe a refund on a federal student grant or be in default on a federal student loan.
  • Register (or already be registered) with the Selective Service System, if you are a male and not currently on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces. (Students from the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands and the Republic of Palau are exempt from registering; see for more information.)
  • Not have a conviction for the possession or sale of illegal drugs for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid (such as grants, work-study, or loans). If you have such a conviction, you must complete the Student Aid Eligibility Worksheet to determine if you are eligible for aid or partially eligible for aid.

Many types of student aid also require you to have financial need. Additionally, once you have a bachelor’s degree or a first professional degree, you are generally not eligible for certain types of aid.


The Federal Pell Grant, which does not have to be repaid, is a federal program providing financial assistance to undergraduate students who demonstrate a need for financial assistance to attend college. The US Department of Education uses a standard formula, established by Congress, to evaluate the information reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The formula produces an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) number. The Student Aid Report contains the EFC number that determines eligibility.The Federal Pell Grant award amount depends on the student’s financial need, the student’s cost of attendance, whether the student is full-time or part-time, and whether the student attends school for a full academic year or less. Students with Bachelor’s degrees are not eligible.

Award Amounts:  Ranges from $650 to $6,395


The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), which does not have to be repaid, is for undergraduates with exceptional financial need — that is, students with the lowest Expected Family Contributions (EFCs). FSEOG give priority to students with the lowest Expected Family Contributions and who apply the earliest in the year. Students with Bachelor’s degrees are not eligible.

Award Amounts:  $400 per year (Fall and Spring). May qualify for a summer award.


The Federal Work-Study program provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the student’s course of study. Students with Bachelor’s degrees are eligible.


  • Must complete a FAFSA
  • Must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours
  • Must maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • Must have financial need
  • May work an average of 15 – 20 hours per week.

To apply for an available position, please complete the Federal Work Study Application Form and submit to the Financial Aid Office.

Award Amounts:  FWS funds are limited to availability of positions, funds, and completion of the interview process.  Students are paid on the last working day of each month, and the amount paid is according to the position and the number of hours worked.

Contact Person: Deborah Kauba, (910) 272-3334, or email at


Robeson Community College is approved by the Veterans Administration as a training facility for veterans. The Office of Veterans Services, located in the Financial Aid Office in Building 13, coordinates services to over 100 veterans, dependents, guardsmen, and reservists attending classes and receiving veterans’ benefits.

Click here to learn more about Veterans at RCC

Award Amount: Varies


The North Carolina Community College Grant (NCCCG) is a need based grant established by the North Carolina Legislature. The North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority, through College Foundation, Inc., makes award determinations. The North Carolina Community College Grant provides funds to help meet the educational costs of North Carolina residents attending community colleges.

Applicant must meet the following eligibility requirements

  • Be a North Carolina resident for tuition purposes
  • Enroll for at least six credit hours per semester in a curriculum program
  • Meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements of the institution

Eligibility is determined based on the same criteria as the Federal Pell Grant; students not eligible for the Federal Pell Grant may be considered for this grant based on their estimated family contribution (EFC) as determined on the Student Aid Report (SAR). Students who have earned baccalaureate (four year) college degrees are ineligible.

Award Amounts:  $100 – $2400 per year (Fall and Spring). Not available for summer.


The North Carolina Education Lottery Scholarship (ELS) was created by the 2005 General Assembly to provide financial assistance to needy North Carolina resident students attending eligible colleges and universities located within the state of North Carolina. 

Students must:

  • Be a North Carolina resident for tuition purposes
  • Enroll for at least six credit hours per semester in a curriculum program
  • Meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements of the institution
  • Be admitted, enrolled and classified as an undergraduate student in matriculated status in a degree, certificate or diploma program at an eligible North Carolina institution (UNC campuses and NC Community College campuses)

Eligibility is determined based on the same criteria as the Federal Pell Grant with one exception; students not eligible for the Federal Pell Grant with an expected family contribution of $5000 or less will be eligible for an Education Lottery Scholarship. Students who have earned baccalaureate (four-year) college degrees are ineligible. The value per grant will vary according to information that is generated from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid application. 

Award Amounts:  $152 – $2752 per year (Fall and Spring). Not available for summer.

Forgivable Education Loans for Service (FELS):
Established by the North Carolina General Assembly in 2011, the Forgivable Education Loans for Service provides financial assistance to qualified students enrolled in an approved education program and committed to working in critical employment shortage professions in North Carolina. For the 2020-2021 academic year eligible degree programs may be found by clicking the link below. The North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority provides administration for the program.

A recipient must meet the following eligibility criteria to be considered for FELS:

  • Be a legal North Carolina resident and NC resident for tuition purposes
  • At the time of application, present a cumulative minimum grade point average (GPA) of:
    • 3.00 for graduating high school students (weighted GPA)
    • 2.80 for undergraduate students pursuing an associate or bachelor’s degree
    • 3.20 for students pursuing a graduate or professional degree
  • Register with the Selective Service System, if required;
  • Recipients must not be in default, or does not owe a refund, under any federal or State loan or grant program
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress according to the enrolling policy of the institution.
  • Be willing to work in NC in a designated critical employment shortage profession (careers corresponding with a FELS Approved Program); and
  • Must plan to enroll in at least six credit hours in an Approved Program at an Eligible Institution.

Note: You do not have to be admitted to the program when you apply, but you must be admitted prior to receiving funding, if selected.

Application Procedure: The application is available the first Monday in December. The deadline for applying is March 1st. Applications will be entered into a lottery for award consideration.



NC Reach is a state-funded scholarship offered to qualified applicants for up to 4 years of undergraduate study at NC public universities and community colleges. Available funding is awarded to students, after all other financial aid, public funds and scholarships have been processed and applied to their account. NC Reach provides comprehensive student support to help all students be able to navigate their post-secondary education.

Eligibility Guidelines

    • Eligible students are those who are legal residents of North Carolina eligible for in-state tuition rates. Click HERE for a full explanation of NC residency requirements.
    • Those who have aged out of North Carolina foster care at age 18; or…
    • Those who have been adopted from North Carolina foster care on or after their 12th birthday.
    •  Exited from foster care to a permanent home through guardianship with the support of the Kinship Guardianship Assistance Program (KinGAP)
    • Students may qualify through age 25.

NC National Guard Tuition Assistance Program (NCTAP):

The NCTAP program is available to any student who is an eligible member of the North Carolina National Guard and pays tuition/fees. Students who wish to use TAP must apply for NCTAP online by clicking on the link below





Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act (WIOA)

LRDA Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act

 The Workforce Investment Act program (WIOA) has served as a leader in providing employment and training opportunities for over 25 years. WIOA is funded by the Department of Labor. The purpose of Subtitle D, Section 166 (Indian and Native American Programs) is to support the employment and training activities for Indian, Alaska Native and Hawaiian individuals. Eligible veterans and their spouses will receive priority service. Components include Work Experience, Educational Training, Job Skill Training, Job Search, Job Readiness, Job Development, Job Placement and Career Planning.

Eligibility Requirements:

Applicants must be:

  • American Indian, Alaska Native or Native Hawaiian
  • Unemployed, underemployed, or low-income
  • Reside in Robeson, Bladen, Hoke, or Scotland County

To apply for the WIOA Program please visit the LRDA office and complete an application. For further information please contact the WIOA office at one of the addresses:  

Click the link for a WIOA Career Pathway Interest Form

Robeson Robeson County


636 Prospect Road

Pembroke, NC 28372

(910) 521-9761 or Fax: (910) 668-1259

Monday – Friday
8:00am – 5:00pm

Hoke County


22 West Elwood Ave.– P.O. Box 485
Raeford, NC 28376

(910) 875-5742 or Fax: (910) 875-6897

Monday – Friday
8:00am – 5:00pm

Finish Line Grant

The Finish Line Grant program helps students complete their education when facing unforeseen challenges. In partnership with the Lumber River Workforce Development Board and the Robeson County NCWorks Career Center, RCC offers access to these funds for students who have completed at least 50 percent of their credit or noncredit program and are in good academic standing.


  • Up to $1,000, per student per semester
  • Must be in good academic standing as outlined by RCC policies (minimum of 2.0 GPA)
  • Must be a current student who has completed (or are enrolled in) at least 50% of their primary course of study
  • Must have a Social Security card

Examples of Qualifying Expenses

  • Rent assistance
  • Unexpected car repairs (must be enrolled for in-person classes)
  • Tuition & Fees
  • Books & other course materials  (exam fees, etc.)
  • Utility bill (water, gas, and electric)
  • Childcare assistance
  • Bus passes (S.E.A.T.S)
  • Medical expenses
  • Internet services

    To apply, complete the Finish Line Grant Student Application Packet

    For more information, please contact Deborah Kauba, Assistant Financial Aid Director, at (910)272-3334 or email at

    RCC Scholarships

    The RCC Foundation provides two types of scholarship assistance to students.

    • Endowed: Funded with earnings from endowments

    • Annual: Funded with annual gifts from donors


    Click to learn more about RCC scholarships

    State Scholarships

    The North Carolina Community College System Office presents the following scholarships from state, corporate, and private sponsors:

    Targeted Assistance High Demand/Low Enrollment Program

    North Carolina Community Colleges Foundation Endowment for Teacher Preparation

    North Carolina Community Colleges Foundation Scholarship for Health Careers

    Wells Fargo Technical Scholarship 

    Wells Fargo Scholarship Eligibility Requirements

    Rodney B. Powell Memorial Scholarship

    Golden LEAF Scholars Program

    George W. Ballard Memorial Scholarship

    Allen Ryan Todd Scholarship


    SECU Scholarship Document


    To apply for any of these scholarships, please visit the Financial Aid Office or contact us at 910-272-3352


    Outside Scholarship Tools

    There are an abundance of scholarships provided by external agencies such as clubs, churches, organizations, employers, etc. that are available to help you pay for your college expenses. RCC’s Financial Aid Office urges you to take advantage of all the scholarship opportunities available to you. Check out the list of scholarship tools below, search available scholarships, and APPLY, APPLY, APPLY!


    SunTec Auto Glass Scholarship

    Welcome service members, veterans, and families!

    Robeson Community College is proud to serve our military veterans and their families. The Office of Veterans Services, located in the Financial Aid Office in Building 13, coordinates services to over 100 veterans, dependents, guardsmen, and reservists attending classes and receiving veterans’ educational benefits.

    Click here to learn more about Veterans at RCC



    The Federal Work-Study program provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the student’s course of study.

    To apply for an available position, please complete the Federal Work Study Application Form and submit to the Financial Aid Office.


    We are currently hiring for the following positions:


    Department:  Financial Aid Office

    Job Description: Greeting/directing student, parents, visitors. Retrieving files, filing, answering telephone, operating computer, scanning documents, shredding, daily pickup of mail across campus, and any other clerical duties assigned.

    Position Requirement/Required Skills: Friendly personality with good communication/organizational skills. Dependable and trustworthy. Proficient in Microsoft Office Word and Excel.


    Department:  Basic Law Enforcement Training 

    Job Description: The QA Assistant will be responsible for assisting the BLET Program Director with administrative and clerical tasks. Responsibilities will include but are not limited to: data entry, creating packets/books,, mail distribution and creating copies.

    Position Requirement/Required Skills: Ability to handle one’s self in a professional manner and work independently, Must be responsible and dependable. Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills and must be organized/detail oriented


    IT Helpdesk Network Technician

    Department:    Information Technology

    Job Description:

    1. Setup, assemble and configure computers, peripherals such as printers, scanners and related hardware
    2. Install, assemble and configure computers, monitors, network infrastructures and peripherals such as printers, scanners and related hardware
    3. Troubleshoot problems with computer systems including hardware and software, email, network and peripherals equipment and make repairs as needed
    4. Provide help desk support, create and maintain documents

    Position Requirement/Required Skills:

    1. Good customer service skills
    2. Ability to communicate both orally and written
    3. Can perform some physical work
    4. Detailed oriented

    Records Tech



    Job Description:

    1. Greet students/visitors upon entry to  Records Office
    2. Verify student records,
    3. Assist students with registration; dropping and/or adding classes
    4. Student will deliver and check mail daily
    5. Student will answer telephone; check voicemail messages and return phone calls
    6. Student may be called upon to answer phones or respond in walk-in customers
    7. Student will perform other duties as assigned

    Position Requirement/Required Skills:

     Must be detail-oriented and able to take imitative and work independently

    1. Must be willing to work hours as scheduled (class schedule takes precedence)
    2. Must be able to multitask and work under pressure
    3. Must possess good communication skills in person and via telephone
    4. Must exhibit good computer skills
    5. MUST understand and respect privacy and confidentiality of all student records

    Department:  Cosmetology  

    Job Description:

    1. Assist with ordering through e-procurement
    2. Assist with handling check in/out of patrons in salon clinic lab areas
    3. Close-out procedures/paperwork of business office related work
    4. Conduct inventory and store in proper areas of department

    Position Requirement/Required Skills:

    1. Confidentiality
    2. Trustworthy
    3. Good customer service skills,
    4. Ability to communicate both orally and written
    5. Clerical/Computer skills
    6. Handling cash/credit/debit card transactions

    Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy

    In accordance with federal and state regulations, RCC’s Financial Aid Office is required to evaluate a student’s satisfactory academic progress at the end of each term (fall, spring, summer), to determine financial aid eligibility for the following term. Satisfactory academic progress evaluations will include all periods of enrollment whether students received or did not receive financial aid for periods of enrollment and include credit hours earned at other institutions and transferred into the student’s program of study at RCC.

    To maintain eligibility for financial aid, students MUST meet the following requirements: 


    1. GPA: Keep a cumulative 2.0 GPA.
    2. Completion Rate (PACE): Complete 67% percent of the total cumulative credit hours attempted. For example, if a student has attempted 12 credits, the student must complete 9 credits to meet the completion rate requirement.
    3. Maximum Timeframe: Complete the requirements for an eligible program of study within a timeframe not to exceed 150% of the published program length. For example, if an academic program length is 60 credit hours, the maximum credit hours that is eligible for financial aid is 90 (60 * 150% = 90). Students may only receive financial aid for two programs at RCC.

    Note: Remedial coursework will be included in the time-based standard and is limited to 30 credit hours.


    Eligibility Status

    After each evaluation period, students are placed on one of the following statuses: 

    Satisfactory: Students who meet the minimum requirements (cumulative 2.0 GPA and 67% completion rate) are placed on this status.

    Warning: Students who do not meet the minimum requirements (cumulative 2.0 GPA and 67% completion rate) for the 1st time are placed on WARNING for the following semester. Students may continue to receive financial aid during the warning period.

    Suspension: Students on Warning status who fail to meet the minimum requirements again (cumulative 2.0 GPA and 67% completion rate) or have not met the minimum requirements for two consecutive terms will no longer be eligible for financial aid.

    Maximum Time Frame: Students who have reached the maximum credit hours allowed for his/her program of study will be placed on this status. Attempted credits from all enrollment periods at the College + all applicable transfer credits are counted; whether or not the student received financial aid for those terms is of no consequence.

    Probation: Students who have successfully appealed financial aid suspension are placed on Probation Status. Students on Probation Status are eligible to receive financial aid either for one (1) semester, after which they MUST be in satisfactory status or continuously meet the terms and conditions of the appeal plan.

    Continued Probation: Students placed on Probation who successfully meet the terms and conditions of their appeal plan are placed on Continued Probation Status and eligible to receive financial aid. 

    Termination: Students on probation status who do not adhere to the appeal plan that he/she was given will be placed on Financial Aid Termination. Students who have been terminated are no longer eligible for financial aid until financial aid eligibility is regained (see regaining eligibility section below)



    Students who are placed on a Suspension/Termination status will be immediately ineligible for financial aid. In order to regain financial aid eligibility, students must meet the minimum requirements of RCC’s Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards by enrolling for classes at his/her own expense.

    Students with new documented extenuating circumstances (must be different circumstances than the one provided in your original appeal) that are beyond their control may submit an appeal to the Financial Aid Office. If the appeal is approved, financial aid eligibility will be reinstated on a probationary status.



    Students who fail to meet satisfactory academic progress standards have the right to appeal their eligibility status. Students with documented extenuating circumstances that are beyond their control may have their financial aid reinstated if their appeal is approved.  The burden of proof lies with the student to explain your circumstances and explain how the circumstances were extenuating, beyond your control, AND what has changed that now will allow you to meet the SAP requirements in the future.  



    KEEP IN MIND:  Extenuated circumstances must have been experienced by the student and/or immediate family member! Friends and extended family members cannot be included. 





    Medical Illness or Injury 



    Death of Immediate Family Member


     Personal Hardship (impacted your physical, emotional, or mental health) X

    Young & Irresponsible (missed classes, did not study enough, incomplete work)


    My 1st time in college 


    I did not like OR could not understand my instructor 


    Other Unexpected Circumstances: (car accident,  military deployment, loss of transportation, etc. must be documented)



    Steps to Appeal Your Status

    Submit the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Request Form

    A personal statement explaining the circumstances that have affected academic performance AND what has changed that will allow him/her to make Satisfactory Academic Progress in a reasonable period of time prior to program graduation.

    Supporting documentation must be presented. Proper documentation involve notarized statements from third party sources, medical documents, death certificate or obituary, police reports, legal or court documents, etc. 


    Appeal Evaluation

    Only complete appeal submissions, with documentation, will be evaluated by the Financial Aid Office. The decision is final and cannot be re-appealed.  The reasonableness of the student’s ability for improvement to again meet SAP standards and complete the student’s program of study will be carefully considered.

    Appeals will be approved or denied. Students whose appeals are approved will be placed on a probationary status for the coming terms until full Satisfactory Academic Progress standards are met. During the probationary status,  the student could be required to complete additional requirements (i.e., see a counselor, academic advisor, receive tutoring services from The Learning Center, limit enrollment, etc.) during the probationary period. The goal is to help the student get back on track for graduation. All terms, conditions, and any additional requirements of probation must be met, or the student will be placed on Termination. If an appeal plan has been pre-approved by financial aid, continuing to meet the requirements of that plan will put the student back into good standing.


    All appeals submitted after the dates listed below will be evaluated and processed for the subsequent semester:

    July 1 – Fall Semester

    November 1 – Spring Semester

    April 1 – Summer Semester

    Return to Title IV Policy

    Federal Return of Title IV Funds Overview

    Federal law specifies how the Financial Aid Office must determine the amount of Title IV program assistance that you earn if you withdraw or cease enrollment at Robeson Community College. Students who withdraw from all classes prior to completing more than 60% of an enrollment term will have their eligibility for aid recalculated based on the percent of the term completed.

    The Title IV programs that are covered by this law include the following financial aid programs:

    • Federal Pell Grants
    • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)
    • Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants

    *The North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority (NCSEAA) along with College Foundation Incorporated (CFI) has established a return policy for state funded grants. State grant recipients who withdraw from class or cease enrollment prior to or at the 35% point of the semester will owe a repayment of their state aid. (See State Return of Funds section below).

    • North Carolina Community College Grant *
    • North Carolina Education Lottery Grant *


    Robeson Community College is an institution that is not required to take attendance. For students who completely withdraws or cease enrollment, the withdrawal date is as follows: 


    • Official Withdrawals: The withdrawal date is the earlier of the date the student began the official withdrawal process or otherwise provided official notification of withdrawal to the institution (as described in the RCC Catalog)
    • Unofficial Withdrawals: When the student does not provide official notification to the school of his or her withdrawal (i.e., unofficially withdraws). The withdrawal date is the midpoint (the 50% point) of the payment period or period of enrollment, or, if available, the school may choose to use a last day of attendance at an academically related activity.

    A student who attends and completes at least one course that spans the entire term will have earned the aid for that term (as adjusted for dropped classes or classes not attended).

    Recalculation of Aid

    Though your aid is posted to your account at the start of each period, you earn the funds as you complete the period. If you withdraw during your payment period or period of enrollment, the amount of Title IV program assistance that you have earned up to that point is determined by a specific formula. If you received less assistance than the amount that you earned, you may be able to receive those additional funds. If you received more assistance than you earned, the excess funds must be returned by the school and/or you.

    The amount of assistance that you have earned is determined on a pro rata basis. Once you have completed more than 60% of the payment period or period of enrollment, you earn all the assistance that you were scheduled to receive for that period.

    Recalculation is based on the percent of earned aid using the following formula:

    # of days completed by student DIVIDED by the total days in the semester

                                                     =    Percent of Aid Earned

    (excluded scheduled breaks of more than five days)

    Returning Funds

    If you withdraw from all courses before the 60% point of the payment period or period of enrollment, RCC is required to return a portion of the financial that was not earned. Robeson Community College must return a portion of the excess equal to the lesser of:

    • The amount of institutional charges multiplied by the percentage of funds that was not earned, or
    • The amount of Title IV funds that the student does not earn

    RCC must return this amount even if it didn’t keep this amount of your Title IV program funds. There may be instances when both, RCC, and the student may have a responsibility for returning funds.

    If you did not receive all of the funds that you earned, you may be due a post-withdrawal disbursement. Robeson Community College will automatically use all or a portion of your post-withdrawal disbursement of grant funds for tuition and fees.


    Any amount of unearned grant funds that you must return is called an overpayment. The maximum amount of a grant overpayment that you must repay is half of the grant funds you received or were scheduled to receive. You do not have to repay a grant overpayment if the original amount of the overpayment is $50 or less. You must make arrangements with your school or the Department of Education to return the unearned grant funds.

    The requirements for Title IV program funds when you withdraw are separate from RCC ‘s refund policy. Therefore, you may still owe funds to the school to cover unpaid institutional charges. RCC may also charge you for any Title IV program funds that the College was required to return (Please see RCC ‘s Refund Policy listed below).


    RCC  Refund Policy – Tuition

    RCC Refund Policy


    Example of a Return to Title IV Calculation:

    Student Profile:  Bob Ellison is a first-time freshman at RCC. Charges to his account are as follows:

    Tuition and Fees:                                          $ 1,000.00/16-week semester

    School Authorized to

    Credit Account for Other Charges:                        Yes (all charges)

    Bob’s financial aid package includes the following awards:

    Pell Grant                              $ 1,400.00

    FSEOG                                   $ 1,200.00

    Bob Ellison enrolled as a first-time freshman at RCC for the spring semester on January 8. On January 18, Bob got a call from the state treasurer informing him that the programming job he had applied for six months ago was his for the taking. That same day, Bob contacted the Financial Aid Office to:

    (1) Advise them that he was withdrawing from RCC,

    (2) Begin RCC’s formal withdrawal process (11 calendar days into the semester), and

    (3) Find out what to do next.




    All of his financial aid for the semester had been disbursed.

    Percentage of Federal Financial Aid Earned:  

    11 completed days divided by 110 days in the semester = 10%

    Because this percentage is less than or equal to 60%, the student will not have earned all their aid


    Amount of Federal Financial Aid Earned:  

    Multiply 10%  X $2600 (total aid received) =  $260.00


     Amount of Federal Financial Aid to be Returned:

    Total financial aid awarded                            $2,600

    Minus aid earned in above calculation           $  260

    Financial Aid to be returned                       $2,340 (see below for a breakdown of return)


    Student Portion                                                        
    College Portion

    Unearned amount of $2,340 – $900 Unearned institutional charges = $1,440

     Protected Amount (50%)

    Total amount of aid disbursed  $2,600 X  50% =

    $1,300 (protected amount)

    Return amount $1,440 – Protected amount $1,300 =

    Total for Student to Return:      $140.00

    The lesser of:

    • $1,000 (institutional charges)

                 90% Unearned Percentage  $900


    • Amount of unearned Aid = $2,340

    Total for RCC to Return:        $900.00

    **RCC returns the $900 to the Department of Education, creating a balance on the student’s RCC account. The student is responsible for paying their RCC balance of $900 in addition to the $140 student portion to be returned.


    What is a FAFSA?

    It is a Free Application For Federal Student Aid.

    How do I apply for financial aid?

    To apply for financial aid, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at

    HELPFUL TIP:  Make sure to select the correct FAFSA year as there may be two versions available. If you plan to enroll in school for the current year (Spring 2020 or Summer 2020), select and complete the 2019-2020 FAFSA. If you are planning to enroll for the next school year (Fall 2020, Spring 2021, or Summer 2021), select and complete the 2020-2021 FAFSA.

    For assistance with completing your FAFSA, please visit the Financial Aid Office.


    What is the school code for RCC?

    RCC’s school code is 008612

    What is a FSA ID & how do you obtain it?

    A FSA ID is a username and password that you must use to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education (ED) websites. Your FSA ID identifies you as someone who has the right to access your own personal information on ED websites such as the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at If you are a parent of a dependent student, you will need your own FSA ID if you want to sign your child’s FAFSA electronically. If you have more than one child attending college, you can use the same FSA ID to sign all applications. You may create a FSA ID here: FSA ID. Please note: Each FSA ID user must have a unique e-mail address.

    What if I forgot my FSA Username or password?

    If you’ve forgotten your username or password, don’t worry; there are options for you to recover your account information. On the FAFSA login webpage, click on “Forgot My Username” and“Forgot My Password” so you can start the process of recovering your information.

    Important: To retrieve your username or password, you’ll either need to have a code sent to your mobile phone or your email address, or you’ll need to answer your challenge questions. If you haven’t provided and verified your mobile phone number or email address in your FSA ID account, and you can’t remember the answers to your challenge questions, you will have to contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center by calling 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243; TTY for the deaf or hard of hearing 1-800-437-0833). An agent will walk you through self-service options. If that does not resolve the situation, you will need to go through the FSA ID account recovery process. You’ll send in copies of identification, and an email address you have access to, and your account will be reset to include that new address. This process takes 7–10 days from the point at which you send in your documentation.

    Once you regain access to your account, we strongly encourage you to provide and verify both your email address and phone number so that in the future you can retrieve your username or password on your own.

    Recovering Your Username

    Click the “Forgot My Username” (or similar) link on the site you want to log in to, and select one of the following options:

    Option 1: “Text a secure code to my mobile phone” (your mobile phone must be verified to use this option).

    • Enter your mobile phone number and the month and day of your birthday.
    • Enter the secure code from your mobile phone.
    • Your username is shown on the screen.

    Option 2: “Email a secure code”

    • Enter your email address and the month and day of your birthday
    • Enter the secure code from your email.
    • Your username is shown on screen.

    Option 3: “Answer my challenge questions”

    • Enter your SSN, last name, and date of birth.
    • Answer your challenge questions correctly.
    • Your username is shown on screen.

    Recovering Your Password

    Click the “Forgot My Password” (or similar) link on the site you want to log in to, and select one of the following options:

    Option 1: “Use my username or verified email address.”

    • Enter your username or verified email address and the month and day of your birthday.
    • Select one of the three options for recovery:
      • Text a secure code to my mobile phone
      • Email a secure code
      • Answer my challenge questions*
    • Create a new password.

    Option 2: “Use my mobile phone number”

    • Enter your verified mobile phone number and the month and day of your birthday.
    • Select one of the three options for recovery:
      • Text a secure code to my mobile phone
      • Email a secure code
      • Answer my challenge questions*
    • Create a new password

    *Please note that for security purposes, if you use the challenge question option to reset your password, there’s a 30-minute delay before you can use your FSA ID.

    What if my family's financial situation changes?

    If you or your family has unusual circumstances not shown on the FAFSA (such as loss of employment) that might affect your need for student financial aid, submit the FAFSA and then complete a Professional Judgment Request form with RCC Financial Aid Office.

    What documents are needed to complete the FAFSA?


    The FAFSA questions ask for information about you (your name, date of birth, address, etc.) and about your financial situation. Depending on your circumstances (for instance, whether you’re a U.S. citizen or what tax form you used), you might need the following information or documents as you fill out the application:

    • Your Social Security number (it’s important that you enter it correctly on the FAFSA form!)
    • Your parents’ Social Security numbers if you are a dependent student
    • Your driver’s license number if you have one
    • Your Alien Registration number if you are not a U.S. citizen
    • Federal tax information or tax returns including IRS W-2 information, for you (and your spouse, if you are married), and for your parents if you are a dependent student:
      • IRS 1040
      • Foreign tax return, IRS 1040NR, or IRS 1040NR-EZ
      • Tax return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or Palau
    • Records of your untaxed income, such as child support received, interest income, and veterans noneducation benefits, for you, and for your parents if you are a dependent student
    • Information on cash; savings and checking account balances; investments, including stocks and bonds and real estate (but not including the home in which you live); and business and farm assets for you, and for your parents if you are a dependent student

    Keep these records! You may need them again. Do not mail your records to us.



    What is verification?

    Verification is a review of the information you reported on your FAFSA application. Students are randomly selected by the Department of Education for verification. If selected, you will be required to obtain submit certain documents. To access a list of the requested documents, log into your student Self-Service portal, click on “Financial Aid Counseling, and then “Requested Documents”.

    Does financial aid pay for developmental coursework?

    Financial aid will only pay for 30 credit hours of attempted developmental coursework.

    What Is the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT)?

    The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) is located within the income section of the FAFSA application and allows the applicant to transfer their tax information from the IRS directly to the FAFSA. You must use the IRS DRT whenever possible. If you do not you may have to submit hard copies of your tax documents to the Financial Aid Office.

    Is there a limit to how long I can receive financial aid?

    Most financial aid funding have limits to how long you can receive aid. You can receive aid (if eligible) up to the following: 

    • Federal Pell Grant: 6 full-time years or 12 full-time academic semesters
    • NC Community College Grant: 10 full-time academic semesters
    • NC Education Lottery Grant: 10 full-time academic semesters

    Please note that even though you may have available funding remaining, you must also maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress standards of maximum time frame, which indicates that a student must complete their program of study within a time frame of 150% of the published program length. For example, if you are enrolled in a program that requires 60 credits to complete, financial aid will cover up to 90 credits (60 credits * 150% = 90 credits).

    I am thinking of withdrawing, will I have to return my financial aid funds?

    Question 1

    Did you cease to attend a course that you was scheduled to attend? (If yes, ask the next question.) If no, a return calculation is not required.

    Question 2

    At the time you stopped attending this course, were you continuing to attend other courses? If no, go on to Question #3. If yes, you are not a withdrawal at this point.

    Questions 3

    At the time of withdrawal, did you provide written confirmation of anticipated attendance in a later starting, registered course within the term? If no, a return calculation is required. If yes, no return calculation is required

    Return Calculation: A student’s official withdrawal date is used to determine how much financial aid was earned during enrollment for the semester. All unearned portions of financial aid must be returned to the Department of Education. This may leave the student with a balance owed to Robeson Community College. Students will not be eligible to receive additional financial aid for post-secondary education until all unearned portions of financial aid are repaid.


    "Green open book icon on black circle background"




    Students may use their financial aid funds to purchase books and supplies at the RCC Bookstore.



    August 12 – 28, 2020

     September 14 – 17, 2020

     October 14 – 20, 2020






    Disbursements are processed after you have begun your classes and attendance is confirmed. If you have a class that begins later in the semester, a portion of your disbursement will occur after the classes begin.





    August classes –  September 18, 2020

    September classes – October 9, 2020

    October classes – November 6, 2020





    This is the date we take a “snapshot” of your enrollment status to establish the “official enrollment status” for reporting purposes and financial aid eligibility. Your enrollment status on this day is what will be used to calculate your disbursement.

    September 4, 2020


    Through a sincere commitment to all students and their families, we strive to eliminate financial and other barriers to higher education. We make a conscious effort to reach out to those with exceptional economic and educational needs. We are dedicated to providing high-quality service in a fair, sensitive, and confidential environment to all individuals.

    We’re here to provide information about the types of financial aid available to students, financial aid application deadlines, how to accurately complete the FAFSA and any other forms, how much aid you are qualified to receive, ways to avoid or minimize borrowing, and how to request an appeal of certain financial aid decisions. Financial aid administrators are required to abide by the rules and regulations of the programs they administer. Please read all the information given to you, abide by the guidelines, and ask questions if you don’t understand something.

    Students are assigned a financial aid specialist based on your last name.

    Find your assigned financial aid specialist below. 



    Director of Financial Aid & Veteran Services | Building – 13,  Room 1302
    Phone: (910) 272-3662


    Assistant Director of Financial Aid | Building – 13, Room 1302
    Phone: (910) 272-3334


    Financial Aid Specialist (M-Z) | Building – 13, Room 1302
    Phone: (910) 272-3337

    Person Image Placeholder


    Financial Aid Specialist (Front Desk Services & Documents) | Building – 13, Room 1302
    Phone: (910) 272-3352






    Location: 5160 Fayetteville Road, Lumberton, NC 28360 – Building 13, 

    Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1460, Lumberton, NC 28359

    Phone Number:  910-272-3352

    Fax Number: 910-272-3314


    Hours:  Monday – Thursday: 8:00 am to 6:00 pm, Friday: 8:00 am to 3:00 pm

    Like our Facebook page to stay tapped in about important financial aid information, deadlines, scholarships, and more!

    facebook icon