Robeson Community College

Veterans Affairs

Veteran’s Affairs

Robeson Community College is approved by the Veterans Administration as a training facility for veterans. The Office of Veterans Services, located in the Financial Aid Office in Building 13, coordinates services to over 100 veterans, dependents, guardsmen, and reservists attending classes and receiving veterans’ benefits.

Veterans Educational Benefits

There are several educational programs for those servicemen and women once they leave the military and enter civilian life: New G.I. BILL (CHP. 33), REAP (CHP. 30), NEW SELECTED RESERVE (CHP. 1606), ACTIVE DUTY EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM, DEPENDENT’S EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANCE (CHP. 35).


Am I eligible for Veteran’s Benefits?

Contact the VA by phone at 1-888-GIBILL1, or visit the Education Service website. To receive veterans education benefits, you must be enrolled in an approved curriculum program, taking only those courses required for graduation in the chosen curriculum.VA students adhere to the same tuition policies as other students. Some benefit payments are sent directly to the veteran on a monthly basis and no advance payments are available.

All students must maintain satisfactory academic progress as set by the policy of RCC.  All students on warning and/or academic probation are reported to the VA Office each semester. Veterans Affairs provides tutorial assistance is available if you are receiving VA educational assistance at the half-time or greater rate and have a deficiency in a subject making tutoring necessary, REAP cannot use these services.  Apply at

What benefits are available?

  • The Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30): Active Duty Educational Assistance Program, generally for individuals who entered active duty after June 30, 1985, and served continuously for three years or by serving two years on active duty followed by four years of Selected Reserve. To be eligible, veterans must have contributed $1200 during their first year of military service. Veterans or service personnel cannot withdraw money paid into the fund.
  • The Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 1606): Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program, for members of the Reserve elements of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and the Air National Guard. To be eligible, a reservist must have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve signed after June 30, 1985. No contribution is required.
  • Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35): Educational assistance available to spouses and children of veterans who died or are permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-related disability.
  • Disabled Veterans Assistance (Chapter 31): Vocational Rehabilitation for service-connected disability of 20% or greater. Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation is designed to provide all services and assistance necessary to enable veterans with service-connected disabilities to achieve maximum independence in daily living; to become employable, and to obtain and maintain suitable employment. Basic entitlement is based on service-connected disability for which you are receiving, or could elect to receive, VA compensation; VA determines a need to overcome employment handicap or to improve your capacity for independent living; you were discharged from service under other than dishonorable conditions. Periods of eligibility is up to twelve (12) years after the date of notification of entitlement to VA compensation. Up to 48 months of rehabilitation and assistance may be authorized.
  • Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP Chapter 32): For individuals who entered active duty service between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985 and served a continuous period of 181 days or more plus contributed toward the education program.
  • Vietnam Era GI Bill (Chapter 34): For individuals who entered active duty prior to December 31, 1976 and served a minimum of 181 days of active duty after January 31, 1955. Benefits must have been used by January 1, 1990.
  • Post 9/11 GI Bill As of August 1, 2009, the Post-9/11 GI Bill is effective for training. Approved training under the Post-9/11 GI Bill includes graduate and undergraduate degrees, and vocational/technical training. All training programs must be offered by an institution of higher learning (IHL) and approved for GI Bill benefits. Additionally, tutorial assistance, and licensing and certification test reimbursement are approved under the Post- 9/11 GI Bill The Post-9/11 GI Bill will pay your tuition based upon the highest in-state tuition charged by a public educational institution in the state where the school is located. The amount of support that an individual may qualify for depends on where they live and what type of degree they are pursuing.

Where do I start?

If you are eligible for VA benefits, you may apply online at or contact the RCC Veterans Certifying Official for appropriate VA application form that is necessary to activate your benefits:

Financial Aid Office, Building 13
Veterans Counselor
PO Box 1420
Lumberton, NC 28360
Telephone: 910.272-3661
Fax: 910.618.5686

What documentation must accompany my application?

  • For veterans: Certified copy of DD214 (discharge papers) Member 4
  • For veterans and/or dependents: Certificate of Eligibility
  • For reservists: Copy of NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility)

What happens next?

The Veterans Certifying Official submits the original application and accompanying documentation to the Atlanta Regional Processing Center. Due to the volume of claims the ARPO processes, it can take up to 12 weeks to receive correspondence or payment. Please be patient and do not inquire about your initial claim until at least 60 working days have passed.

How do I keep receiving these payments?

Renewal is not automatic. You must visit the RCC Veterans Certifying Official, or print and mail a copy of your registration, as soon as you register for the following term to re-activate your benefits and prevent a lapse in payment. Without a new enrollment form, your payments will stop. The Veterans Certifying Official uses electronic certification for continuing students. You must notify this office if you change your major, withdraw or drop hours below the amount certified to the VA.

  • The following are the required forms that must be submitted to the Veterans Certifying Official:
    Copy of detailed class schedule.  Any updates should also be submitted as well.

Veterans who receive Chapter 30, 1606, 1607, or VRAP benefits must certify their attendance at the end of each month. Monthly certification is required and can be done online through the WAVE system at or by phone at 1-877-823-2378. This process must be completed to initiate monthly payments.

What if I used some of my benefits at another institution?

If you have a remaining entitlement, contact the RCC Veterans Services Counselor for the appropriate VA application form necessary to re-activate your benefits (22-1995, or 22-5495 Change Form).

Are there VA Work-Study Jobs?

Yes, students who are enrolled 3/4 time or more and training under Chapters 30, 31, 32, 35 and 1606 may be eligible for employment on a part-time basis. The non-taxable hourly rate is the prevailing federal or state minimum wage. Local Equal Employment Opportunity Offices and area Veterans Hospitals periodically hire VA Work-Study students.

Additional questions?

Email Susan L. Chavis, the Institution Veterans Certifying Official, at or call by phone at  910.272.3661 or 910.272.3352. Fax: 910.618.5686.


Listed below are other World Wide Web resources for those wanting information about their VA benefits.