English, Humanities, and Social Science Department
The English, Humanities, and Social Science Department at Robeson Community College serves all curricula by providing instruction in pre-college English and reading, freshman composition, professional research, literature, public speaking, humanities/fine arts, and social science. These courses are integral to each of RCC’s associate degree programs. Moreover, the department is a critical partner within the University Transfer program.
Faculty work to assist students in the development of their writing, critical thinking, and communication skills as necessary to be successful upon their entrance into the workforce or transfer to a four-year institution. To accomplish its mission, the department will
- Create an environment where students view writing as a form of inquiry, expression, and persuasion.
- Develop content within new courses or refine content of existing courses that expose students to a myriad of topics including global issues.
- Expose students to and mentor students in opportunities in which they conduct, compose, and present academic and technical research.
- Employ emerging technology to the delivery of course content.
- Link course objectives to program and general education outcomes.
- Connect with and monitor college transfer students (AA and AS).
- Work with College and Career Readiness to bridge skills from GED, adult high school, and developmental courses to curriculum courses.
- Work with high schools to create a bridge from high school to college.
- Support faculty who seek professional development activities that relate to their discipline.