RCC Student & Trustee Honored at Business Visions Award Banquet
The UNC Pembroke’s Office for Regional Initiatives recognized student, entrepreneur, and business leader’s success at the 22nd annual Business Visions Awards Banquet.
Mary Elizabeth Wilford received the Associate of Applied Science Business Administration Student of the Year. Kyle Chavis received the MBA Student of the Year. Chavis, of Lumberton, is CEO of Lumbee Guaranty Bank and on the RCC Board of Trustees. George Pate, RCC’s Lead Accounting Faculty, was also in attendance representing RCC.
Other award winners included:
- Michael Estler, MPA Student of the Year. Estler is from Florida and plans to become a Peace Corps volunteer in Uganda.
- Ricky Harris, Entrepreneur of the Year. He is from Pembroke and owns Dakota Hawk Construction.
- Riveter, Business of the Year. Military spouse-owned company, financially backed by billionaire investor Mark Cuban and housed in Southern Pines.
- Ron Roach, Business Person of the Year. Roach is president of Contempora Fabrics, a leading knit manufacturer in Lumberton.
- Robeson County Arts Council, Nonprofit of the Year. The Lumberton-based organization supports a network of music, art and theatrical events countywide.
- Lumbee River Electric Membership Corporation, Excellence Award for Large Business. LREMC is an electric utility with 52,000 members serving Cumberland, Hoke, Robeson, and Scotland counties
- Jack Leggette Farms, Agricultural Excellence. A successful, family-owned and operated farm near Rowland.