Policies and Procedures
Degrees Available Online
Is an Online Class for Me?
Some students find that Distance Learning courses are more rigorous and require more preparation than the traditional courses – over eight hours of preparation time per week. Generally, students stay at home and take the course, but they may be required to come to campus for an orientation and for the completion of some requirements, like exams and oral presentations.
These courses are appealing because they allow more flexibility of instruction than traditional classes, are accessible to students at home or at work, and require few trips to campus. To help students remain current in their studies, faculty have established specific tests and assignment dates. Students must first decide if this delivery style is “right” for them and if they have time to take the course. Preparation time for these classes is MORE, not less.
Consider the following guidelines required for online/hybrid courses before enrolling:
- Access to a computer at home or work
- Computer with Internet access
- Computer with up-to-date virus protection software
- Access to the required software for your course
- Knowledge of basic computer skills
- Ability to send e-mail with attachments
- A minimum of 8 hours a week to work on your course work
Characteristics of Successful Online Students
- Independent/Self Motivated
- Able to study independently
- Read and write well
- Turn in assignments when due
- Proficient in Windows, particularly word processing, email and web browser functions