Adult Basic Skills
- Adult Basic Education Transition
- Adult Basic Education
- High School Equivalency
- English as a Second Language
- Adult High School
- Family Literacy
- Contact the Staff
- Orientation Schedule
In support of the mission of Robeson Community College, the Family Literacy program is committed promoting educational opportunities to the diverse populations of Robeson County and the surrounding regions. The Family Literacy program provides parents and their children with a learning environment which provides interactive literacy activities between parents and their children that offers age appropriate education to prepare children for success in school.
The Family Literacy Program includes specific educations objectives for the adults and the children through a comprehensive approach that is designed to improve the educational and economic opportunities by teaching parents how to:
- Demonstrate knowledge in life skills
- Becoming full partners in the education of their children “First Teacher”
- Helping children reach their potential as learners
Family Literacy program is dedicated to help parents achieve their goal to obtain their educational success while remaining the responsible caregiver.
Prerequisites for Admission:
- Adults 18 years or older. (Minors 16 and 17 years old meeting RCC criteria may be enrolled if they meet certain guidelines.)
- Do not have a high school diploma or high school equivalency diploma
- Score 8.9 or below or both the Reading and Mathematics sections of the TABE (Test for Adult Basic Education)
- Have an approved source of picture identification, such as a valid driver’s license, personal passport or official United States identification documents.
All Adult Basic Education students will be pre-tested with standardized TABE assessment. The results of the testing will determining placement in to one of four programs levels. The results of the testing will determine placement into one of four program levels:
- Beginning ABE Literacy
- Beginning ABE
- Low Intermediate ABE
- High Intermediate ABE
Robeson Community College’s Family Literacy program provides an opportunity like no other, childcare, so parents can concentrate in the classroom. This unique opportunity allows parents to remain responsible caregivers yet manage their studies toward a high school diploma; advancing their career opportunities; and building the reading, writing and communication skills that will be important tool in their role as their child’s “First Teacher.”
The Family Literacy program provides a learning environment not just for parents but also for their children. While parents are working toward a goal of an Adult High School diploma /High School Equivalence their child is also learning his/her colors, numbers, and appropriate social skills so he or she will be ready for school. Also the Family Literacy program offers a safe learning environment.
If you need additional information about the Family Literacy program , contact Artando Roberson at 910-272-3621 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click on the Links Below to Review: