Robeson Community College

Applying for Financial Aid


Applying for Financial Aid

  • New Applicants
  • Student Aid Report
  • Verification
  • Special Circumstances
  • Renewal FAFSA
  • Electronic PIN Number
  • Obtain a PIN

New Applicants:

You can apply for federal aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online or by mailing it to the federal processor. You should allow four to six weeks for processing. The financial aid award year runs from July 1st to June 30th. Applications for the upcoming school year are available in the Financial Aid Office after January 15th. You must complete an application for financial aid each year.

You can apply through the Internet by using the FAFSA on the Web. When using the Internet, you must print and mail a signature page before your application can be processed. Please include RCC’s Title IV School Code #008612.

Student Aid Report:

A Student Aid Report (SAR) will be mailed within four to six weeks from the time the FAFSA is submitted. Applicants should review the SAR carefully. The number to telephone concerning your FAFSA application status, requesting a duplicate Student Aid Report, or adding another college is 1-800-433-3243 (Hearing Impaired 1-800-730-8913). The Financial Aid Office will receive the student’s record electronically from the federal processor if RCC is listed on the FAFSA.

To receive priority for all types of aid, you should complete the FAFSA application process so that your SAR is received by March 1st, if you are planning to begin in the Fall semester.


The US Department of Education randomly selects students for a process called verification. The Financial Aid Office must verify files for applicants selected for verification by the US Department of Education. When corrections are made to the student aid report, the application could then be selected for verification by the federal processor, even though it was not previously chosen. In addition, the Financial Aid Office reserves the right to request verification of files with questionable or conflicting information. Students must provide Verification Worksheets (obtained from the Financial Aid Office or website) and any other documentation requested before awards can be final.

Special Circumstances:

If you and/or your family have unusual or extenuating circumstances that are not reflected on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), please contact the Financial Aid Office. These circumstances could include unusual medical or dental expenses or tuition expenses for children attending private elementary or secondary school. Also, an adjustment may be made if you, your spouse, or either parent (if applicable) has been recently unemployed, deceased, divorced or separated. Documentation will be required. You may complete a Special Circumstance Application

Renewal FAFSA:

If you filed a FAFSA or a Renewal FAFSA for the previous year, the federal processor will mail an electronic pin number to you. You can use the electronic pin number to electronically file a Renewal FAFSA.

Many questions on the Renewal FAFSA will have preprinted information based on the student’s SAR from the previous year. If your information has changed, you must make corrections to the preprinted information, update the income information, and submit it electronically to the federal processor. Remember: You must sign and mail a signature page before your renewal application can be processed. Your FAFSA ID can also serve as an electronic signature when completing your FAFSA on the Web.


If you do not currently have a FAFSA ID number, you and/or your parents may choose to apply for a FAFSA ID number to allow you to electronically process the following:

  • Sign your forms
  • Process renewals
  • Make corrections

 If you have any questions, please contact FAFSA on the Web Customer Service group at 1-800-801-0576.

What Does the Financial Aid Office Provide?

Information about the types of financial aid available to students, financial aid application deadlines, how to accurately complete the FAFSA and any other forms, how much aid you are qualified to receive, ways to avoid or minimize borrowing, and how to request an appeal of certain financial aid decisions.

Financial aid administrators are required to abide by the rules and regulations of the programs they administer. Please read all information given to you, abide by the guidelines, and ask questions if you don’t understand something.